This series against the Yankees this Father’s Day weekend was the entire season in a microcosm. You had the dizzying highs of watching Giolito twirl another gem, Eloy bombing 2 HR in a game, or Leury Garcia win an 11 pitch battle against Adam Ottavino to send the game winning home run over the right field fence. Then you had the terrifying lows of the back 3/5ths of the worst starting rotation in the major leagues being unable to find the strike zone, to Ricky Renteria’s mystifying lineup decisions to getting a taste of .500 and having it snatched right back from you. There have been plenty of times in the past I’ve been frustrated with the White Sox front office, but their insistence on filling the rotation with trash heap rejects might be the worst it’s ever been.
To the bullets
NUMBERS DON’T LIE
– Watching Leury Garcia and Tim Anderson take game one by the nuts and drag it over to the White Sox side of the win column was a thing of beauty. Timmy went down and popped a pitch that he had no business getting to and put it over the center field fence to tie the game when Nova tried his best to gift wrap it to NY. Then watching Leury go down 0-2 to Adam Ottavino (who is no joke in the reliever department) and fight off 8 more pitches before he finally got one he could do something with was just awesome to behold. I see Leury as a Ben Zobrist type of player where he will be in the field every game, just not in the same position. Fangraphs has him at a 2.6 defensive WAR which is highest on the whole damn team by more than a full point (McCann is next at 1.2). For that price, he’s well worth the roster spot.
– Eloy is blazing hot right now, as he now sits with 11 home runs. That doesn’t seem like much, but when you consider the fact that he’s hit 8 of those 11 since May 20th that picture becomes a little clearer. On top of that, he’s seeing the ball better in the box and laying off more and more breaking pitches out of the zone. His K rate is still kinda high, but if he’s averaging one tater every three games I’ll take it. Plus the kid is hilariously awkward on TV:
– Lucas Giolito wasn’t at his sharpest in this game, but he certainly did enough to keep the Yankee bats at bay until the Sox could respond to the Luke Voit solo shot he gave up in the first. He walked 4 on the night, which is the most he’s had since the last time he faced the Yankees back in April. The fact that you’d pitch a little more carefully to this team speaks more to the heavy bats of the Yankees (Now even heavier with the acquisition of Edwin Encarnacion from the Mariners) than to a lack of control from Gio.
-Kelvin Herrera came in game one and struck out the side in the 8th to set the table for Aaron Bummer’s first save of the year. Apparently Colome was not available after throwing almost 40 pitches in his 5 out save the previous game. Bummer looked competent in the role, which may be where he ends up if Hahn decides to move Colome for another Tommy John surgery in the making at the trade deadline.
-Reynaldo Lopez really only had one bad inning in his start, but it was enough to do him in. He’s still not attacking the zone enough, but his underlying talent and promise continue to merit him a start every 5 days. It’s not like there’s anyone else to take the job from him anyways.
-Yonder Alonso has played 5 games in the month of June and gone 1-15 in that span. Jon Jay is dead in a ditch somewhere, and Manny Machado and Bryce Harper are not here. What a bang up free agency season for Rick Hahn (OK fine James McCann has been awesome, but there is not a single person out there who thought he was going to be anything other than 1 game a week).
– O-Driss went from being a very small, novelty pumpkin to a gigantic first prize in a county fair one with his start on Sunday. Happy Fathers Day to all those Sox Dads out there who had to watch that steaming pile of shit that he shoveled out there. I know the Yankees fans appreciated it.
– Next up are the 2 games up in Wrigley against the Cubs. Who’s pumped to try and take back the Crosstown Cup Sponsored By BP Oil and Probably Papa John’s Pizza or Maybe Ankin’s Law Office With Ozzie Guillen?
-Sisyphus White Sox meme idea courtesy of @TheBennettK